An Egg Allergy
An egg allergy is most commonly found in children below the age of five, and they are most likely to gradually grow out of it after the age of five. It’s the protein in the egg white that’s usually responsible for the allergic reaction, though in some cases the protein found in the yolk can be responsible.
Symptoms of an egg allergy reflect the symptoms of most food allergies and include skin rashes and eczema, hives, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, coughing, sneezing, runny eyes and nose, and wheezing. A severe egg allergy can result in anaphylaxis, which closes the respiratory tract, causing the inability to breathe normally. This can be fatal in some cases and is especially dangerous in the case of infants.
As with other allergies, there are two primary tests that will help your physician determine the source of your allergy. The first is a skin scratch test. The second is a blood test. Once you’re sure it’s eggs that are causing your reactions, the best way to prevent future allergic reactions is to avoid those products containing eggs or egg extract.
Unfortunately, there are numerous foods that contain eggs. It’s therefore important that you learn to read package labels carefully. Any mention of egg whites or egg yolks are ref flags. Those are foods to avoid.
Not everything comes in a package, however. Many fast food items also contain eggs. Milk shakes, bread, and baked goods can all contain eggs and/or egg products. Do a little research first. Discovering the ingredients of your favorite fast food items ahead of time can save you plenty of misery and discomfort.
In those cases when you have a young child who’s been diagnosed with an egg allergy, especially if it’s a severe allergy, your physician may suggest that you keep epinephrine on hand. In the case of the most dangerous allergic reactions, Epinephrine (adrenalin) is often used as an emergency medication. The form of delivery is most often an EpiPen, which is a self-injecting shot of epinephrine.
A Tree Nut Allergy
Affecting millions of people worldwide, a tree nut allergy is often mistaken as a peanut allergy. However, while dried fruits cause a tree nut allergy, peanut allergies are caused by different kinds of legumes. The symptoms of these two conditions are alike, however. And it’s worth noting that a person allergic to one isn’t necessarily allergic to the other.
Allergies to tree nut products are usually more prevalent in children, but they may also occur with adults. Just as with other allergies, it’s treated by avoiding the foods that come from the source of the allergen – in this case, nut particles, oils and tree nuts. Tree nuts include all kinds of nuts that grow on trees, such as walnuts, pecan, pistachio, cashews, hazelnuts, filbert, hickory nuts, almonds, macadamia, beechnuts and chestnuts.
Unfortunately, allergies from these nut families are common and life threatening. Since these nuts are usually found in candy bars, chocolates, drinks, cereals and other sweets that children love, it is important to be aware of what your child eats to identify if ever he or she experiences the symptoms of tree nut allergy.
Common symptoms of this condition include skin reactions including eczema, rashes, itching, swelling, inflammation and hives. A tree nut allergy can also cause gastrointestinal symptoms, such as vomiting, stomach pains and diarrhea. Some severe cases experience nausea, rapid heartbeat, loss of breath,
wheezing, running nose and itching around the areas of the mouth.
If your child experiences more than four of these symptoms, consult your doctor immediately for appropriate treatments. While the doctor could give your child epinephrine injections, it cannot cure the allergies for good.
The most effective way to avoid these allergies is through your child’s diet. Make sure that all his or her snacks, meals, sweets and other food items do not include any of the contributing factors of tree nut allergy. As parents, you have to be sure to read label ingredients to find hidden nut sources in your food items.
A Shellfish Allergy
Crabs, lobster, shrimp, clams … these are all shellfish that can cause an allergic reaction. Symptoms can include hives, itching, swelling of the lips, tongue and throat, wheezing, trouble breathing, abdominal pain, vomiting, tingling in the mouth or lightheadedness.
While an anaphylaxis reaction is rare, it can occur and it can be life-threatening when it affects breathing. Symptoms of anaphylaxis include a swollen throat which creates breathing difficulty, a drop in blood pressure, lightheadedness, or a rapid pulse.
If you experience any of these symptoms shortly after eating shellfish, you should see your doctor. Don’t put it off. See your medical practitioner as soon as possible. Even while the allergic reaction is occurring if possible…